Twitter feed

Friday, December 09, 2005

RunDave MIA

OK, I've been in Canberra for the last week and a half working at the Uni there, staying with my Brother-in-law and his wife in Barton. I was very busy for most of the time and didn't really have much access to the internet. I got home yesterday morning but didn't have time to blog then either.

So what have I been up to. It took me a couple of days to settle in to working on the LA-ICPMS (don't ask what it is please, other than to say it is a complex chemical analytical instrument), so I didn't get a run in for the first three days. Last Thursday I ran into ANU 5km-ish and then up Black Mountain and back (Photo). The next day I ran over to and up Mt Ainslie and back then into ANU. For the rest of the time I was there, I either ran into or home from ANU or did sessions at the Gym in the apartment complex.




Things that I think were notable about running over there.

  1. I thought Black Mountain was harder than Mt Ainsley, is that a fair comment?
  2. I was amazed by the number of people walking, running and cycling in Canberra.
  3. Elliptical trainers can give you a good workout.

In between working like a crazed man on the weekdays, I was able to go to a couple of really nice parties and relax on the weekend. I also got some good shots of the storm that hit Canberra last Friday, causing millions of dollars damage, uprooting or debranching heaps of trees and killing one man.



Finally, and regretably, since I finished my work over there a few days earlier than I expected, I couldn't justify staying the five extra days to go in the Black Mountain Challenge, so I came home. I was really looking forward to going in it too, especially after running up it last week. Maybe some other time. It's also annoying because there is such a long break between events in Adelaide from early December to late January.

RunDave

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic photos, Dave! Not good for running I would imagine! Hope you enjoy Christmas & don't forget to hang up your stocking for Santa to fill on Christmas Eve!!

Ewen said...

It depends which track you take to the summit I guess. You missed Mt Majura which is probably the meanest mountain in town but still a mere speedbump compared to those on the 6ft track.