Twitter feed

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Feeling good/Stochastic

Legs are still feeling sore, but I've been getting some good solid runs in, and once they warm up, they feel really good. I'll have a light speed session tomorrow then take it easy until Sunday's race.

Another favourite word today: stochastic. It's a word often used by scientists to explain variability in results or observations when there is no other credible explanation. Ie "I've no idea why the growth rates are different in the two locations. It must be due to stochastic effects". Once again, I'm not entirely sure why I like it, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that you can still sound like you know what is going on even though you don't.


sto·chas·tic ( P ) adj.

Of, relating to, or characterized by conjecture; conjectural.

Statistics.

  1. Involving or containing a random variable or variables: stochastic calculus.
  2. Involving chance or probability: a stochastic simulation.

2 comments:

CJ said...

I might just have to try that word on at work!

As for that revolting coffee today - I do usually ask for a strong coffee but someone bought this for me. It was sooooo bad.

Tesso said...

I reckon I could use that word to describe my running :-)