Twitter feed

Friday, April 28, 2006

Overdue injury update

Well this update is somewhat overdue. I went to the physio (Tim) again on Wednesday. Tim reckons the inflammation on the tendon has gone down quite a bit. He has told me to progress to single-leg heal dips, but continue ice massage (my bad - I haven't done that since then). He really got into the tendon and my calves with massage and I was quite sore afterwards, but the leg is feeling much better and stronger now. I even had to run for a traffic light today and it felt really good (that is to say, I felt no pain or weakness in the Achilles or anywhere else). Tim thinks that after next weeks session, I will be able to do a 1-2 km run the next day and another that week, then build up over the next 4-5 weeks to running 10 km again. It sounds slow, but at this point any run is looking good to me. I assume that if everything is looking good after this then I will be able to start building up a new program.

So let's look at some numbers. I will say it is 5-6 weeks until I can start a new program, which would take me to early June. If I say that I have all of June and July, and most of August until the Adelaide Marathon, then that gives me 12 weeks - the perfect amount of time for a half marathon training program, not so ideal for a full marathon. So there is my dilemma. I guess I'll have to see how the leg feels after the 5 weeks. I'd love to run the marathon, but I'm not sure if I can get enough training done in 12 weeks. What does everyone think?

2 comments:

Ewen said...

See how it goes I guess. Don't enter early! Best not to re-injure yourself.

If all goes well you could probably finish but the time might not be what you want.

Tesso said...

That's great news about getting back to running Dave. I know how you feel, especially the 'run for the traffic lights' bit. I've been a bit like that over the past several weeks.

I'm in a similar situation with the GC Marathon. I'm not giving up hope of running it, though its only about 10 weeks away. I'd be aiming just to finish, the PB will have to wait.

If you did sign up for the full would you be happy with a slower than expected result?